Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Northern Harrier(s), American Bittern Chick(s) Yellowbellied Sapsucker(s) & other things.



Only a guess but I think these are the 3 original, female mallards hatched this year, that I had been recording. Not of the later group of 7.
Over 2 days I watched these Northern Harriers cruise the Sheriff Creek's Marsh. While I never saw a "strike" there were many dives.
The smaller male, gray, was out in the evening.




And the larger female,brown, was hunting the following (mid) morning .





Between Harrier sightings, I watched as 2 American Bittern chicks got lessons in maneuvering around the marsh and preliminary flight lessons.
There are 2 young ones but only one appears at a time.

Watched over by mother,          "gearing up"
 Moving to launch position

Tentative steps with underdeveloped wings flapping.
then the jump.
and the result: missed! But learns the art of wading.















                                       Next up: Yellow-Bellied Sap-Suckers.

 Neither of whom have yellow bellies nor do they suck sap.
Very clever these bird naming Ornithologist wot?
Female on a Tamarac tree, no sap here. Bit of resin tho'
Male, with red cap and throat is not likely to get much sap from a dead tree either.


Same general area, A Warbler I could not positively identify from my "bird-books"

And a Double Crested Cormorant in for a landing.


Finally,
this is a fungus (I think),
One which I've never seen before.
Or else it's an alien invader.
I'll check its progress just in case.

No comments: